Hydrogen Hub Leader
In our rapidly changing world, economic, social and technological changes are affecting sectors and regions across Canada. The Transition Accelerator (www.transitionaccelerator.ca) is a pan-Canadian charity that works with groups across the country to direct these disruptions to solve business and social challenges while building in viable transition pathways to a net-zero future. Our current priorities are Canada’s hydrogen economy, electric vehicle market penetration, building decarbonization, and electrification and grid integration.
In order to accelerate tangible progress in implementing a hydrogen economy, the Accelerator and the five jurisdictions of the Alberta Industrial Heartland, launched a Task Force to identify necessary actions and required steps. The Task Force’s work resulted in the release of two reports.
The first report (https://transitionaccelerator.ca/towards-net-zero-energy-systems-in-canada-a-key-role-for-hydrogen/) provided international and national context for a Canadian hydrogen as fuel economy, the second report provides a spatially explicit analyses of the economic and environmental opportunities of a hydrogen as fuel economy in the Edmonton region (https://transitionaccelerator.ca/building-a-transition-pathway-to-a-vibrant-hydrogen-economy/), and provides recommendations on how to capitalize on the opportunities. One recommendation is to focus effort to develop an economy at the appropriate spatial scale in a new fit-for-purpose Hydrogen Hub model (https://transitionaccelerator.ca/building-out-a-hydrogen-economy-in-canada/).
The Hub model was developed in concert with six national industry associations and multiple levels of government. The Hub will help ensure that public and private investments along the full hydrogen value chain lead to a sustainable economy maximizing the short, medium and long-term economic and environmental benefits.
The Transition Accelerator is staffing a full-time position to help develop a new virtual entity, the greater Edmonton region Hydrogen Hub, and to lead two Hub Action Teams. If you have experience leading in diverse and complex situations, like a challenge, and enjoy driving positive change, this position could be for you.
Reporting to a Hydrogen Director , the successful candidate will:
- Assist the refinement of Hub design, then implement and manage key Hub components;
- Develop and manage strategic relationships with stakeholders including representatives from industry, government, indigenous, and financial organizations whose mandates align with Hub objectives;
- Manage two Hub Action Teams related to transportation: Municipal Fleets and Commercial Fleets:
- Help lead the Hub as it:
Guides derisking technoeconomic analyses performed by an analytical team;
Designs and implements an engagement strategy to ensure work benefits from input and advice from diverse perspectives;
Identifies regulatory barriers and infrastructure requirements to ensure an economically sustainable hydrogen economy emerges quickly and sustainably.
Experience, Qualifications and Personal Traits
- An undergraduate degree (minimum) in a pertinent field;
- 6+ years of diverse experience ideally including heavy transport systems (public transportation/commercial transportation), as well as experience planning, developing and leading multi-stakeholder processes;
- Results focussed, with demonstrated experience in creating and executing strategic plans that drive progress with measurable results;
- Demonstrated experience in planning and executing multistakeholder processes;
- Very strong verbal and written communications skills including a demonstrated ability to communicate technical concepts in plain language;
- Experience in forging and leading partnerships with industry, academia, governments, indigenous interests and others;
- Experience with organizations whose governance involves multiple stakeholders often with differing priorities and needs;
- Takes responsibility and initiative, and likes to be held accountable for results;
- A well-organized individual, comfortable with trouble-shooting problems and handling multiple work streams, while working virtually and independently;
- Ability to operate and deliver in an environment where information may be incomplete and ambiguous, and there may not full alignment among stakeholders;
- Experience and interest in systems thinking and transitions;
- Proficiency with the Office suite of computer software required.
Candidates for this position must reflect the values of The Transition Accelerator. These values include:
- Embracing a positive, forward-thinking attitude in an often unstructured environment with multiple unknown variables;
- Working collaboratively with diverse, and sometimes opposed views;
- Grounding all work in evidence-based analyses;
- Embracing a multi-disciplinary and pluralistic approach;
- Focusing on innovation over the status-quo;
- A can do attitude with a commitment to help drive change.
Location and Travel
Work will be conducted in a virtual environment for now, and may evolve to a physical environment and may eventually involve some travel. It is highly preferred that the successful candidate reside in the greater Edmonton region, although candidates that reside in other parts of Alberta or other locations may be considered. The successful candidate must be available for work during normal business hours 8 am to 4:30 pm MT.
The Transition Accelerator is an equal opportunity employer.
Applicants interested in this position are invited to forward their resume and short cover letter to email@example.com. Applications will be evaluated as they are received. Although interviews will begin on 17 Feb 2021, the competition will remain open until the position is filled. Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. The position has a compensation package benchmarked to sector standards. Come join our team!