Director – Hydrogen Economy
In our rapidly changing world, economic, social and technological changes are affecting sectors and regions across Canada. The Transition Accelerator is a pan-Canadian charity that works with groups across the country to direct these disruptions to solve business and social challenges while building in viable transition pathways to a net-zero emission future. Our current priorities are Canada’s hydrogen economy, electric vehicle market penetration, building decarbonization, and electrification and grid integration.
There is broad consensus from experts around the world that increased use of hydrogen fuel will be a key to successfully reaching net zero targets. Additionally, transitioning to low- or zero-emissions hydrogen fuel, and away from carbon-intensive fossil fuels, presents a significant economic opportunity for Canada as we are able to produce hydrogen cheaper than almost anywhere else in the world.
To accelerate tangible progress towards an economically viable Canadian hydrogen economy, the Accelerator and the five municipalities of the Alberta Industrial Heartland launched a Task Force in summer 2020. The Task Force’s reports identified necessary action and required steps in a transition pathway to a self-sustaining hydrogen economy (Report 1, Report 2). Concurrently, in concert with six national industry associations and multiple levels of government, the Accelerator developed a hydrogen Node or Hub model, that is a fit-for-purpose model designed to ensure that public and private investments along the full hydrogen value chain lead to a sustainable economy maximizing the short, medium and long-term economic and environmental benefits of hydrogen as a fuel.
The Transition Accelerator is seeking a full-time Director – Hydrogen Economy to lead it’s pan-Canadian hydrogen strategy and support the adoption of sub-regional hydrogen hubs. If you are a leader with deep and wide knowledge of systems thinking, have strong collaboration skills, like a challenge, and enjoy driving positive change, this position could be for you.
Reporting to the CEO, the successful candidate will:
- Lead the development of the Accelerator’s strategy to work with other motivated people and organizations to accelerate tangible progress towards a pan-Canadian hydrogen economy.
- Provide as-needed leadership and guidance to individual hydrogen hubs.
- Lead key components of the Accelerator’s hydrogen work including:
- Strategic partnerships with national, regional and local leaders.
- Staff management and retention.
- Support the launch of new hydrogen hubs and promote the adoption of the Accelerator’s philosophy and methodology by external partners.
- Support the refinement of hydrogen hub governance procedures and best-practices.
- Develop and manage strategic relationships with stakeholders including representatives from industry, government, indigenous communities, and financial organizations to advance a self-sustaining hydrogen economy.
Experience, Qualifications and Personal Traits
- An undergraduate degree in a pertinent field (e.g. Economics, Business, etc.) is required. A graduate degree is preferred;
- 10+ years pertinent experience including demonstrated experience managing small teams;
- Results focussed, with experience in creating and executing strategic plans that drive progress with measurable results;
- Strong leadership skills including demonstrated experience in forming and managing multi-stakeholder collaborations;
- Very strong verbal and written communications skills including an ability to communicate complex concepts in clear and compelling language;
- Experience with organizations whose governance involves multiple stakeholders often with differing priorities and needs;
- Takes responsibility and initiative, and likes to be held accountable for results;
- A well-organized individual, comfortable with trouble-shooting problems and handling multiple work streams, while working virtually and independently;
- Ability to operate and deliver in an environment where information may be incomplete and ambiguous, or where there may not be full alignment among stakeholders;
- Experience in forming policy recommendations;
- Proficiency with the MS Office suite of computer software required.
Candidates for this position must reflect the values of The Transition Accelerator. These values include:
- Embracing a positive, forward-thinking attitude in an often unstructured environment with multiple unknown variables;
- Working collaboratively with diverse, and sometimes opposed views;
- Grounding all work in evidence-based analyses;
- Embracing a multi-disciplinary and pluralistic approach;
- Focusing on innovation over the status-quo;
- A can-do attitude with a commitment to help drive change.
Location and Travel
Work will be conducted in a virtual environment with some travel within Canada. The successful candidate will be expected to accept a full-time workload allowing for schedule flexibility as needed by a pan-Canadian organization.
The Transition Accelerator is an equal opportunity employer.
Applicants interested in this position are invited to forward their resume and short cover letter to email@example.com. Applications will be evaluated as they are received with interviews beginning as early as March 1, 2021. The competition will remain open until the position is filled and only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. The position has a compensation package benchmarked to sector standards. Come join our team!