Director of Communications – The Transition Accelerator
Title: Director of Communications, The Transition Accelerator
Duration: Full time, 1 year contract to start
Location: Fully remote – anywhere in Canada
Compensation: To be negotiated
In our rapidly changing world, economic, social and technological changes are affecting sectors and regions across Canada. The Transition Accelerator is a pan-Canadian charity that works with groups across the country to direct these disruptions to solve business and social challenges while building viable transition pathways to a net zero future. Our current priorities are building Canada’s future hydrogen and electricity economies, agriculture and knowledge mobilization. Learn more at https://transitionaccelerator.ca/.
Candidates for this position must reflect the values of The Accelerator. These values include:
- Embracing a positive, forward-thinking attitude in an often-unstructured environment with multiple unknown variables;
- Working collaboratively with diverse, and sometimes opposed views;
- Grounding all work in evidence-based analyses;
- Embracing a multi-disciplinary and system-level approach;
- Focusing on innovation over the status-quo;
- A commitment to help drive change.
Work will be conducted in a virtual environment. The successful candidate may work remotely from anywhere in Canada.
About the position
The Transition Accelerator is hiring a Director of Communications to join its team. This role will full time, approximately 40 hours a week. This position may be a one-year contract to start.
Competitive with peers. To be negotiated
Role & Responsibilities
- Lead overall strategic communications efforts for The Transition Accelerator including media relations, social media, events, web content, mailing list e-blasts and more.
- Develop, maintain and follow a robust organization-specific communications plan
- Develop communications plans and high-level strategy for a number of specific initiatives and report releases
- Manage a communications team of two communications officers and work alongside them to execute communications strategies
- Lead or contribute to communications strategy and execution on other Transition Accelerator affiliated brands including Canada Grid, Edmonton Region Hydrogen HUB, and more.
Experience, Qualifications and Personal Traits
- Minimum 5-7 years experience working in the field of communications or public relations, including experience managing other communications professionals
- Broad communications expertise across media relations, writing, social media, virtual and in-person events planning and web and newsletter management
- Strong interest in combatting climate change, Canada’s net zero transition, politics and current events
- Strong leader and manager able to see the big picture and manage the workload and tasks of communications officers
- Strong time management skills
- Works well independently
- Comfortable working in a fast-paced environment with many competing priorities
- Comfortable with translating academic and science-specific reports into compelling communications materials
- Comfortable working with other communications professionals from outside organizations on joint initiatives and announcements
- Experience using Mailchimp, Canva, Zoom Webinars, Meltwater and WordPress
Fluency in French or graphic design skills are significant assets.
The Transition Accelerator is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants interested in this position are invited to forward their resume and a short cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. The competition will remain open until the position is filled. Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. The position has a compensation package benchmarked to sector standards. Come join our team!